October 10, 2012
PAINTSVILLE - Paintsville Golf Course has been hosting golfers since 1929. The course was one of the first 18-hole courses in Eastern Kentucky and remains a top destination for local golfers and those visiting the area. The Paintsville Golf Course design came from Dr. Paul B. Hall, a member of the Kentucky Golf Association Hall of Fame, and brothers C. Mitchel Hall and Dr. Lon C. Hall.
Paintsville Golf Course’s front 9 features rolling fairways and several elevation changes. The back 9, a challenging group, includes two lakes, each adding difficulty for golfers. The Paintsville Golf Course’s famous swinging bridge requires two tee shots (Hole No.10 and Hole No. 17) to carry the Big Sandy River. The 18-hole course features 6,048 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 70 . The course rating is 67.2 and it has a slope rating of 110.
The course opened on September 27, 1929. The city of Paintsville owns the country club but the golf course is privately owned. Paintsville’s annual invitational tournament attracts golfers from throughout Kentucky and surrounding states. The course also hosts high school tournaments.
The Paintsville Golf Course Clubhouse formally opened in 1939. Paul B. Hall donated the land on which the building is located. The original structure was built by the WPA from local stone, which was cut and transported from neighboring Route 40. The clubhouse’s banquet facilities are available for parties, reunions, receptions and weddings.
The Paintsville Country Club was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 29, 1989.