March 12, 2013
LEXINGTON — Five new members will be inducted into the Kentucky Journalism Hall of Fame Tuesday, April 23, at The Thoroughbred Center, 3380 Paris Pike in Lexington. The five will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at a luncheon ceremony sponsored by the University of Kentucky School of Journalism and Telecommunications Alumni Association.
That evening, the school will hold its 36th annual Joe Creason Lecture in Journalism at
6 p.m. in Worsham Theatre of the Student Center on the UK campus. This year’s presenter of the lecture is Al Tompkins, senior faculty, broadcast and online, at the Poynter Institute. Tompkins, a WKU graduate, is a 2008 Kentucky Journalism Hall of Fame inductee.
The 2013 Hall of Fame inductees are:
• Ralph W. Gabbard, general manager at WKYT-TV Lexington and founder of WYMT-TV Hazard (posthumous induction).
• Bill Goodman, managing editor of KET’s “Kentucky Tonight” and host of other public-affairs programs on KET.
• Dan Modlin, retired news director at WKU Public Radio in Bowling Green.
• John Nelson, executive editor, Schurz Communications in Danville and Winchester.
• Marla Ridenour, sports columnist, Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal.
The five new honorees will join 184 other journalists inducted into the Hall of Fame since its 1981 inception. Selection of honorees is made by a committee representing the state’s media, the UK Journalism Alumni Association and the University of Kentucky. Nominees must be either Kentucky natives or outstanding journalists who have spent the bulk of their careers in the state.
Information on reserving a seat for the Kentucky Journalism Hall of Fame induction luncheon is available at http://jat.uky.edu/ky-journalism-hall-of-fame.html or by calling June Horn at (859) 257-1730 [Call: (859) 257-1730] .