P’burg woman among three killed in Pike wreck

By Kyle Lovern

September 20, 2013

BELFRY – Three people were killed in a two-car accident around 10 a.m., Thursday morning, on U.S. 119 at Sharondale, near Belfry.

Among the dead was 25-year-old Teshia Henry, of Prestonsburg, who was traveling North on U.S. 119 when she lost control of the 2005 Kia Optima she was operating. Henry’s vehicle crossed the centerline and median of the freeway into the southbound lanes of U.S. 119, striking a 2002 Toyota Tundra operated by Steven Douglas Viars II, of West Virginia.

The truck had a sign on the door reading Saminco Electric Traction Drives, of Lavalette, W.Va.

Henry and her passenger, Howard Ravin, 43, of Salyersville, were pronounced dead at the scene by Pike County Deputy Coroner Mike Hall. A second passenger in Henry’s vehicle, Bambi Davis, 48, of Salyersville, was transported to South Williamson Appalachian Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

This accident remains under investigation by KSP. Accident Reconstructionist Trooper Bryan Layne was at the accident to gather information for his report. Trooper Layne was assisted on scene by Troopers Jason McClellan, Hoyt Smith, Det. Jason Merlo and Det. Kevin Newsome.

The wreck occurred near the Oakwood Mobile Homes dealership. The weather was rainy and foggy and EMS workers said that could have played a part in the accident.

The Belfry Fire Department and Appalachian First Response ambulance service were also on the scene of the wreck.

According to an eye witness, the driver of the car was traveling north, lost control on the curve and crossed in front of the pickup truck. The car ended up in the ditch on the other side of the south bound lanes.

The driver of the truck was also taken to ARH, but his injuries were not life threatening, according to Bill Ball, of Appalachian First Response.

The fire department swept debris from the road and put down a drying agent to soak up fluid that had spilled from the truck.

Traffic was backed up for over a mile in the northbound lanes. At one point, traffic was tied up in all four lanes of the highway.

Two minor accidents occurred due to the traffic congestion, as cars began to back up after the first accident.