PAINTSVILLE – The SBA Kentucky District Office has named Desiree Harmon, owner of Club Fit Studio, LLC as the 2016 Kentucky Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year.
Harmon started Club Fit Studio almost four years ago, and the business received small business counseling assistance from Michelle Spriggs with the Morehead State University SBDC in Paintsville. Harmon is a full-time physical education teacher at Paintsville Elementary, a wife and mother of two young children, and is also pursuing her Master’s Degree in Teaching. She is the sole owner of the business but has four instructors who also teach classes.
Club Fit offers eight different varieties of fitness training, seven days a week, and has participants from Johnson, Floyd, Magoffin and Lawrence counties. The business had to relocate three times in order to accommodate increasing demand. Club Fit Studio is innovative, bringing new fitness classes to its members in East Kentucky and instructors are Arnold Classic presenters. Club Fit was also the first Pound venue in Kentucky.
“It is an honor to receive this award,” said Desiree Harmon. “I cannot thank my instructors and clients enough for making this possible,”
“Club Fit is a wonderful example of a small business using SBA programs to grow profitably and create jobs,” stated Ralph Ross, SBA Kentucky District Director. “We admire Mrs. Harmon’s vision, tenacity and leadership. I am amazed each year at the accomplishments of all of our small business award winners.”
SBA will also honor the following entrepreneurs during National Small Business Week (May 1-7):
– David Dafoe, Flavorman and the Distilled Spirits Epicenter, Louisville, SBA Kentucky 2016 Small Business Owner of the Year.
– Kathy Mills, Strategic Communications, LLC, Louisville, SBA Southeast Region 8(a) Graduate of the Year.
– Bill Fensterer, Capital Access Corporation of Kentucky, Louisville, Kentucky Financial Services Advocate of the Year.
– Harsha Wijesiri, Integrated Engineering, PLLC, Lexington, Kentucky Minority-Owned Small Business of the Year, www.int-engineering.com; and
– Scott Matheny, Semper Tek, Inc., Lexington, Kentucky Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year.
All six SBA Kentucky winners will be honored in conjunction with the Kentucky Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Pacesetter Awards at the “Kentucky Celebrates Small Business” event on May 3 in Frankfort. Details on the event will be announced soon.