Former deputy jailer at Kentucky River Regional Jail convicted on federal charges related to death of detainee

Staff Report

LONDON – A jury has convicted a former deputy jailer in Eastern Kentucky for his role in violently assaulting a pre-trial detainee and willfully failing to provide necessary medical attention that led to his death.

On Thursday evening, William Curtis Howell, 60, was convicted of using excessive force against the detainee, resulting in bodily injury, and of deliberately ignoring the detainee’s serious medical needs, also resulting in bodily injury. The jury returned the verdict after 90 minutes of deliberation, following four days of trial.

According to the evidence presented at trial, on July 9, 2013, at the Kentucky River Regional Jail in Hazard, Howell and another supervisory deputy jailer, Damon Wayne Hickman, violently beat Larry Trent, 54, a pretrial detainee, and left him in his cell, seriously injured and bleeding from an open head wound. Trent ultimately died from injuries sustained during the beating. Trent was in custody for a DUI charge. Supervisory Deputy Jailer Hickman, who was initially charged along with defendant Howell, pleaded guilty prior to trial and testified against Howell.

According to evidence, the assault started when Howell and Hickman opened the door to Trent’s cell to remove a sleeping-mat, and Trent ran out of the cell. Howell tased Trent; and after Trent was brought to the floor, Hickman, without justification, violently kicked Trent in the ribs. While deputies carried Trent back to his cell, Trent took the taser from the deputy jailers. Witnesses testified that after deputies retrieved the taser from Trent and while Trent was restrained on the floor of the detox hallway by deputy jailers, Howell and Hickman, without justification, punched, kicked, and stomped on Trent. Witnesses further testified that, before closing the cell door, Howell stepped into Trent’s cell and kicked Trent in the head while Trent was on the floor and posing no threat. Further testimony was presented that, after the assault, Trent’s blood was in the detox hallway, booking area and on the deputies involved.

Testimony further revealed that Trent was lying motionless in his cell with blood all over his face. However, Howell and Hickman willfully failed to provide medical attention, because they did not want to get in trouble. Approximately four hours after the beating, another employee at the jail noticed Trent’s lifeless body and emergency personnel were called. Trent was pronounced dead at a local hospital that afternoon.

According to autopsy results presented at trial, Trent died of a fracture to his pelvis that caused hemorrhaging and from blunt force trauma to his head, torso and extremities.

The Kentucky River Regional Jail houses pre-trial detainees from Perry and Knott counties. As a supervisory deputy jailer, Howell was responsible for the custody, care, safety and control of the inmates at the jail.

Another assault took place at the same jail in 2012. In April of this year, Kevin Asher, the deputy jailer involved in that assault, was convicted of deprivation of civil rights under color of law, and obstruction of justice resulting in bodily injury.

Carlton S. Shier, IV, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky; Thomas E. Wheeler, II, Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division; Amy Hess, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation; and Richard W. Sanders, Kentucky State Police Commissioner jointly made the announcement.

The investigation was conducted by the Kentucky State Police and the FBI. Assistant U.S. Attorney Hydee Hawkins, of the United States Attorney’s Office, and Trial Attorney Sanjay Patel, of the Civil Rights Division, prosecuted this case on behalf of the federal government.

Sentencing for Howell is scheduled for August 16 in London. Excessive use of force resulting in bodily injury carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment; deliberate indifference resulting in bodily injury carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment. The U.S. District Court will consider the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statutory penalties before imposing sentence.

Staff Report


10:19 am
Updated: 1:18 pm. |    
Mudslide holds up traffic in Grethel
9:14 am
Updated: 9:14 am. |    
Chamber holds 53rd awards banquet
comments powered by Disqus