Storm survivors may register by phone or Internet for disaster assistance

Staff Report

FRANKFORT – Kentuckians whose home, apartment or business was affected by the July severe storms, tornadoes and flooding in Carter, Johnson, Rowan and Trimble counties must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to see if they are eligible for disaster assistance.

Individuals, families and business owners in the designated counties can register online at, or by calling 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Disaster assistance applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 800-462-7585 directly. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

The only way for survivors to know if they are eligible for federal assistance is by registering with FEMA – even if survivors have already signed up with another disaster organization. Those with insurance could also be eligible for federal aid and are encouraged to apply, though FEMA cannot determine eligibility until insurance claims are settled.

Names must match those on Social Security cards.

Applicants must have the following information available: Social Security number, Address of the residence, Description of the damage, Information about insurance coverage, Current contact telephone number and Mailing address

For more information on Kentucky disaster recovery, visit or the Kentucky Emergency Management (KYEM) site at

Staff Report

comments powered by Disqus