floydcountytimes.com

Firefighters respond to defunct cinema

Jack Latta jlatta@civitasmedia.com

9 months 12 days 10 hours ago |3386 Views | | | Email | Print

PRESTONSBURG — A furnace malfunction sent alarms blaring Monday evening, as firefighters responded to a possible fire at a downtown landmark.


Prestonsburg Fire Department personnel were dispatch Monday evening after fire alarms were triggered at the Strand Twin Theater in downtown. North Lake Drive was blocked off from Court Street to Graham Street as firefighters investigated the establishment.


According to Fire Chief Bobby Carpenter, an automatic motor on the building’s furnace shorted out, filling the theater and its lobby with smoke. Carpenter said that the malfunctioning unit was probably 20 years old.


“Certainly one of those cases where a fire alarm paid off,” said Carpenter.


The Strand went dark and closed its doors for good in January of this year. Carpenter said that other than the malfunctioning unit, there was no significant damage to the theater.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Weather

Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in Prestonburg
Prestonburg Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com

Featured Business