Last updated: March 27. 2014 3:45PM - 1536 Views
Aaron K. Nelson anelson@civitasmedia.com



Smoke billows from the attic of a home on Spradlin Branch in Prestonsburg on Wednesday. Firefighters with the Prestonsburg Fire Department quickly got the fire under control.
Smoke billows from the attic of a home on Spradlin Branch in Prestonsburg on Wednesday. Firefighters with the Prestonsburg Fire Department quickly got the fire under control.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

PRESTONSBURG — As house fires go, it could have been worse.


That was the prevailing sentiment among the tenants of a house on Spradlin Branch in Prestonsburg who returned from work to find their home on fire on Wednesday.


Firefighters with the Prestonsburg Fire Department were already on the scene, keeping the flames contained and minimizing the damage.


The worst of the fire was relegated to the structure’s attic, according to crews at the site. Most of the house suffered only smoke damage.


The house is owned by Peggy Nelson, who inherited it from her late parents. She currently rents it to Michael and Judy Ward.


Jessica Hackworth, a registered nurse with the Pikeville Medical Center, was on hand to comfort the victims. No one was injured.


As of 3:07 p.m., the fire was out. Prestonsburg Fire Chief Bobby Carpenter was then able to make his preliminary inspection, which indicated the fire likely started in a central bathroom. Currently, he says the incident appears to be accidental in nature.


A more complete investigation is set to follow.


Comments
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Prestonsburg Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com