Ten students in Floyd County schools have been selected to take part in the Governor’s Scholars program.
Governor’s Scholars is an enhanced summer learning program for students going into their senior year of high school. Along with an incredible experience, students receive scholarships that average more than $60,000, depending on the college/university the student selects.
The students selected are:
• Thomas Case, Allen Central High School
• Christopher Blake Howell, Allen Central High School
• Megan Little, Allen Central High School
• Tyler Price, Allen Central High School
• McKenzie Akers, Betsy Layne High School
• Allison Moe, Betsy Layne High School
• Rebekah Tackett, Prestonsburg High School
• Angel Thornsberry, Prestonsburg High School
• Megan Bates, South Floyd High School
• Alex Tackett, South Floyd High School
The process for selection as a Governor’s Scholar is detailed and competitive. Along with a written essay, students are judged on the quality of their grades and test scores. The best in each district then compete with students from across Kentucky.
“Congratulations to these outstanding students, as they’ve worked hard to obtain this prestigious honor,” Floyd County Supt. Dr. Henry Webb said. “The board team and I want to thank the students’ families and their teachers for supporting these exceptional young ladies and gentlemen. We’re excited about the many opportunities that the Governor’s Scholar Program will offer them this summer and in the future.”
For more information on the program, please visit http://gsp.ky.gov/