In 2012, the Floyd County Times celebrates its 85th year in business, having faithfully serving all of the communities in Floyd County.
In more than 80 years of publishing, The Floyd County Times has missed only one issue, when 27 inches of floodwater crept into the building during the 1957 flood. The issue was half completed when the water overtook the building, but was finished and put on shelves at the first available opportunity.
To date The Floyd County Times has been flooded three times and burned twice since opening its doors in 1927. It was on Friday, June 17 of that year that the first issue was printed, and since that time through floods, fires and some changing of hands The Floyd County Times has maintained a set course.
For well over half a century the backbone of this endurance was Times Editor Norman Allen. Allen was the editor when the first issue rolled off the press in 1927.
Allen, at the helm with partner H.L. Goble, who was the business manager and printer/linotype operator, began his long relationship with the paper at its first office located on Court Street in Prestonsburg.
The resolve that was to become the driving force behind the newspaper was tested early when one year later, in 1928, a fire destroyed the building. Allen, stifled briefly but not defeated, managed not only to reopen, but to expand.
On June 1, 1928, with new partner C.B. Latta Sr., Allen bought out the rival Prestonsburg Post from A.C. Harlowe for $7,000. Harlowe had owned and edited the Post since 1914. A move was made to the old Bargain Store building and the presses were running again.
It would be a mere nine years later when another deal and relocation would bring The Times to its present location on what was then Third Street.
In 1937, Allen bought out his partner and made the move to Third Street. One year later, in 1938, H.L. Gobles son, James E. Goble, joined the newspaper staff. H.L. Gobles' other sons John H. and Charles A. also followed him in the printing business. H.L. Goble continued to work at The Times until his death in 1953.
The company was incorporated under the new title of Floyd County Newspapers Inc. in a deal finalized on June 17, 1988. In those negotiations Smith Newspapers acquired 100 percent of The Times, which was, at that time, the states largest selling weekly, as well as one-third ownership in Kentucky Highlands Inc., which operated the Prestonsburg plant where the paper was printed.
The Times continued under the Smith flag until 1998, when it was sold to Community Newspapers Holding Inc. (CNHI). CNHI owns and operate community newspapers throughout the southeastern portion of the United States.
In May 2004, the Times was sold, along with a number of other CNHI locations, to Heartland Publications, LLC., headquartered in Clinton, CT. Heartland Publications focuses on community newspapers in small to mid-sized markets, focusing on local news and events.
The Times, which continues to win numerous editorial and advertising awards, has endured much throughout its history as a staple business in Floyd County. The newspaper Norman Allen pushed to become a voice of and for Floyd County has progressed and grown with the ever-changing technology that keeps newspapers on the cutting edge, updating each year and moving ahead in commitment and quality.