Defense, free throws lift Pikeville over Georgetown

Staff Report

PIKEVILLE – The 16th-ranked University of Pikeville women’s basketball team hit 25 of 32 free throws, including making all 11 in the second half, to offset a poor shooting night and beat Mid-South Conference rival Georgetown College 83-66 on Monday in the East Kentucky Expo Center.

It was a bounce-back win for the Bears (18-1, 5-1 MSC) after losing their first game of the season at Campbellsville on Jan. 16. UPIKE had to wait a little longer than expected to get back on the winning side as it was originally scheduled to play Georgetown on Thursday, but the snow storm throughout the region had other plans.

At times against the Tigers (7-11, 2-4 MSC), it looked like the rims hadn’t thawed out as UPIKE shot 35.1 percent from the field and 22.1 percent from three. But the Bears’ defensive pressure turned up the heat, forcing 34 turnovers that turned into 25 points.

Georgetown was better from the field at 42.1 percent, but only hit 15 free throws and had trouble figuring out UPIKE’s press all game long.

Aundrea Matchen led the Bears with 18 points, eight rebounds, three assists and an 8-of-10 showing from the stripe. Prisha Rogers and Kandice Porter chipped in with 15 and 14 points, respectively, and Emily Baker wasn’t a stat-sheet stuffer, but was a pivotal part of the Bears’ full-court pressure.

The Tigers got 11 points and 12 rebounds from Jessica Foster and 10 points from Abbey Van Zant to lead the way. Behind Foster’s effort, Georgetown controlled the glass 49-41.

Matchen helped UPIKE to its first real lead of the game with a bucket to make it 30-24 with four minutes left in the second quarter. But a 9-0 Tiger run kept things close, leading to the Bears taking just a two-point lead into halftime.

The second half was when Georgetown got itself in trouble, allowing UPIKE to open up with a 16-8 scoring advantage, giving it a 10-point lead on a Prisha Rogers 3-point play. The lead was still 10 with 2:32 left in the third when UPIKE rallied for a 9-2 run to lead by 17 heading into the final quarter.

UPIKE’s lead swelled to as many as 25 points midway through the fourth before a late free-throw fueled rally got the Tigers back within 16 with just over three minutes to play. But it’s as close as Georgetown would get as it made just one more shot, a three from Van Zant with 1:14 on the clock

Staff Report

comments powered by Disqus