LEXINGTON – The Kentucky High School Athletic Association Board of Control conducted its first meeting of the 2016-17 season on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Louisville Marriott Downtown. During the course of the two-day session, the board participated in a comprehensive orientation for all Board members and an extensive review of the due process procedure under KRS Chapter 13B. Among the action taken during Wednesday’s full meeting, the Board approved a final championship schedule for the 2016 Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl and set the dates and sites for the 2016 State Field Hockey Tournament.
The 2016 Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl will be held Dec. 2-4 at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium at Western Kentucky University. The format for this year’s football finals will have the Class 1A and 4A championship games on Friday, Dec. 2, followed by Class 3A and 6A on Saturday, Dec. 3, and Class 2A and 5A on Sunday, Dec. 4. Game times for each day will be 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. (CT).
The 2016 State Field Hockey Tournament quarterfinals will be played Saturday, October 22nd at Assumption High School. The semifinals and final will move to Bellarmine University, with the games taking place Monday, October 24 and Wednesday, October 26. Game times will be finalized in the early fall.
In other action Wednesday, the Board:
– Approved the renewal membership applications for all current KHSAA members.
– Approved the provisional membership of Cornerstone Christian in London, with postseason eligibility to begin in 2018-19 following a two-year candidacy period.
– Approved the certified audit of the Association for the 20143-15 school year as performed by the auditing and accounting firm of Hicks and Associates.
– Heard a comprehensive review of the Commissioner’s Advisory Committees and their 2015-16 meetings.
– Reviewed detailed results from the 2015-16 Financial Aid Survey completed by all member schools and staff recommendations for additional follow-up.
– Conducted a second reading of Bylaw issues and proposals which will be added to the agenda for the 2016 Annual Meeting of Delegates.
– Reviewed the progress and status of the Association’s current Strategic Plan (2012-17) as the 2017-2022 plan begins to be developed.
– Heard a staff report on a variety of undertakings to commemorate the KHSAA’s centennial year (2016-17) and 100th Boys’ State Basketball Tournament in March of 2017.